Preparing for Surgery
Plastic Surgery in Bergen County / Paramus, NJ
- STOP SMOKING: Smoking reduces circulation to the skin, and hinders healing.
- TAKE MULTIVITAMINS: Start taking multivitamins twice daily to improve your general health once you have scheduled your surgery.
- TAKE VITAMIN C: Start taking 500 mg of Vitamin C twice daily to promote healing.
- DO NOT TAKE ASPIRIN OR IBUPROFEN: Stop taking medications containing aspirin or ibuprofen, and use those containing acetaminophen instead like Tylenol. Review the list of drugs containing aspirin and ibuprofen carefully because these drugs can cause bleeding problems during and after surgery.
- LIMIT VITAMIN E: Limit your intake of Vitamin E to less than 400 mg per day.
- FILL YOUR PRESCRIPTIONS: You will be given prescriptions for medications. Please have them filled BEFORE the day of surgery, and bring them with you.
THE DAY BEFORE
- CONFIRM SURGERY TIME: We will call you to confirm the time of your surgery. If you are not going to be at home or your office, please call us to confirm at (201) 261-7550.
- PRESCRIPTIONS: Make sure that you have filled the prescriptions you were given, and set the medications out to bring with you tomorrow.
- CLEANSING: The night before surgery, shower and wash the surgical areas with a prescribed cleanser.
- EATING AND DRINKING: Do not eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight. This includes water.
THE MORNING OF SURGERY
- SPECIAL INFORMATION: Do not eat or drink anything! If you take a daily medication, you may take it with a sip of water in the early morning.
- ORAL HYGIENE: You may brush your teeth but do not swallow the water.
- CLEANSING: Shower and wash the surgical areas again with a prescribed cleanser or Hibiclens.
- MAKE-UP: Please do not wear moisturizers, creams, lotions, or makeup.
- CLOTHING: Wear only comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that does not go over your head. Remove hairpins, wigs, and jewelry. Please do not bring valuables with you.
- CHECK IN/PREPARATION: Surgery Time:
You should plan to arrive 45 minutes earlier than your scheduled surgery time. A parent or legal guardian must accompany patients under 18 years old.